Gianluca Matarrese was born and raised in the Turin area, Italy. In 2002, he moved to Paris at the age of 22, where he completed his studies in film and theatre. He graduated in History and Criticisms of Northern American Cinema and Screenwriting at Università degli studi di Torino and Paris 8. He graduated at Ecole Internationale de Théâtre Jacques Lecoq in Paris in 2005.
In 2008, he ventured in the television business as a writer and director for a sitcom that he created until 2012 (OCS network). Since then, he continued working as a writer, reporter, director, artistic coordinator, casting director, for over than 20 tv-programs, and main French TV networks.
As a member of the theatre company Nar6 he collaborated (as a writer, filmmaker and actor) to Roméo et Juliette: thriller médiatique. This show is directed by Anne Barbot and Alexandre Delawarde, produced by Théâtre Romain Rolland.
As an actor, he worked with Anne Fontaine, Sam Karmann, Christophe Blanc, Eric Barbier, Moebius, etc.
His fiction short-film My Movie-like Kiss won the prize Achille Valdata as best short-film at the Turin Film Festival in 2014. He has currently three long-feature documentary films in production (produced by Agat Films & Co – Ex Nihilo, Altara Film, Bocalupo Film, Bellota Films). His feature film Fuori Tutto won the Best Italian Documentary at TFF37 and it will be broadcast on France Télévisions next summer 2020.
He is also involved into educational activities in colleges, high schools and university (Telecom Paristech) teaching history of cinema, screenwriting, directing.
– 2009-2012 Webcolocs co-creator Cédric Vagnières (Cie de Taxi-Brousse Prod)
– 2015 Dé-cision co-director Guillaume Lafond (Onirim Production)
– 2014 Mon Baiser de Cinéma co-director Guillaume Lafond (Onirim Production)
Long feature documentaries
– Fuori Tutto (Everything Must Go) – (Rossofuoco Film, Ex Nihilo, France Télévisions)
– Il Posto – co-director Mattia Colombo (Altara Film, Bocalupo Film, ARTE/NDR)
– The Last Chapter (Altara Films, Boccalupo Films)
– Fashion Babylon – (Bellota Films, France Télévisions)